Monday, January 19, 2015

In Which We Discover...many things...

This post covers the middle third of Pride and Prejudice, which is chapters 22-42.

There was a lull at the beginning of this third.  For a good portion of it I was worried that the best was over, that we were getting to the "boring parts" everyone complains about it classic works and there would be little relief.

It began with Charlotte and Mr. Collins becoming engaged, which led to a few perfectly comical moments to be sure (Mrs. Bennet's complete reversal in her opinion of Mrs. Lucas because of an engagement was particularly guffaw inducing.  Apparently now the best of friends has become the most venomous of snakes who has always had her eyes set on Longbourn).  Charlotte's complete change of heart about marriage was not too incredibly surprising.

Ms. Bingley's letter arrives and destroys hopes and dreams.  I was most impressed with the scene following between the two eldest Bennett girls where Lizzy tries to "defend the honor" of Jane, so to speak.  Jane is having nothing to do with speaking ill of Mr. Bingley or his sister, while Elizabeth continues to press that Jane has been abused.

"The more I see of the world the more am I dissatisfied with it;  and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense."  Amen, sister.  I do tend to take Lizzy's "dismal" view of humanity.  While Jane refuses to belief it in favor of optimism, "We must not be so ready to fancy ourselves intentionally injured.  We must not expect a lively young man to be always so guarded and circumspect.  It is very often nothing but our own vanity that deceives us.", but Elizabeth's realism turns out to be more accurate.

The Gardiner's arrive at Longbourn with "new of long sleeves", and take Jane away with them to the city where Jane attempts to see Ms. Bingley, who proves by her actions that Elizabeth was correct.  Lizzy joins the Lucas' in visiting the new Mr. and Mrs. Collins and the much talked of, my Mr. Collins, Lady Catherine de Bourgh finally appears.

Austen uses the word "condescension" in it's various forms to describe the demeanor of Lady Catherine many times, and initially I took it in the negative sense, knowing no other.  I had to look it up on four different dictionary sites in order to find an decently applicable definition because Austen's is so archaic.  In essence here it means to be gracious and involve yourself with others in a way that is lower than your actual station.  It is a kindness, not an insult.  Many examples of this older definition are given.  Lady de Bourgh is often very generous to the poor and takes an involved interest in those of lesser stations and helping to build them up.  So far I believe it to be from a good place, mostly because I feel like I'd do the same in that circumstance, but my wife believes her to be more into it because it gives her a "reflected glory".  Not critical to the story, but yeah.

I was starting to yawn quite a bit until Darcy showed up, and it was back to the witty back and forth.  Again I am struck by how similarly I feel when he explains himself.  "I certainly have not the talent which some possess," said Darcy, "of conversing easily with those I have never seen before.  I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done."  He certainly is an oddity for his time, I'd wager.  For me it comes down to a fundamental appreciation of honesty.  If I don't know you, I don't know how to talk to you and I'm horrible at faking it.  Furthermore I don't WANT to fake it or feign interest.  Some of the more enduring pains in my life have been due to mistaking politeness and social obligation from others as actual friendship.  I've gotten attached, and gone out of my way for people who just as easily discarded my friendship because they were "just being nice".  As a result I'm more than a bit "gun shy".  As Darcy says of Elizabeth to her, "We neither of us perform to strangers."

Quickly we get back to "clueless" Lizzy who can't for the life of her understand why Darcy keeps coming around.  And then Darcy declares his love...and I pretty much lost all sense of time.  I know at one point my two kids were fighting, one might have even needed a diaper change, but it was the weekend so I told my more than understanding wife that "I got to the good stuff" and disappeared out onto the balcony.

Again I relate with Darcy in that awkward profession of love and have been on the receiving end of that "what have I ever done, what signal have I EVER given that would make you think that I was even remotely interested in someone like you" rejection.

And then the letter...  I have to admire Austen particularly for how expertly she had drawn out the tension to that point.  It is the skill of a master for certain.  Although I'm still a little sketchy as to exactly why Darcy and Ms. Bingley pushed Mr. Bingley away from Jane (something to do with the little sisters I'm fairly certain), his explanation of the Wickham issue had me wondering what the 1800's version of the modern vulgar epithet "Douche Bag" would be.  I wanted to go back and look again as to why the separation of Bingley and Jane, but I was sucked into the literary vortex so intensely that there was no going back.

"She grew absolutely ashamed of herself.  -Of neither Darcy nor Wickham could she think, without feeling that she had been blind, partial, prejudice, absurd."

I'm not exactly sure why Elizabeth's reaction to this information is oh so very satisfying, but it is.  I think it may have to do with the fact that modern novels would have played it, "Ok, Wickham's a D-bag, but I'm still right in hating you," which may be accurate to the modern mentality.  Despite being proven wrong many still tend to cling to some shred of "rightness".  As I say, never underestimate the power of denial...or self delusion.

Elizabeth eventually returns home to Longbourn, meeting her flighty sisters in Meryton where they have a largish banquet ready for them, "And we mean to treat you all," added Lydia; "but you must lend us the money, for we have just spent ours at the shop out there."  I can pretty much only sigh every time those two show up.  I do love Mary's response to them declaring what fun they had with pointless ridiculous pleasures.  "Far be it from me, my dear sister, to depreciate such pleasures.  They would doubtless be congenial with the generality of female minds.  But I confess they have no charms for me.  I should infinitely prefer a book."  Story of my life, right there.  I need to retain that line for use the next time I'm invited out for shopping and some "FroYo".

Lydia is invited out to Brighton beach (where all the military men are being moved) which drives a hissy fit of a wedge between her and Kitty.  I was very impressed with Mr. Bennet (yet again) when he explains why he approves of Lydia's going despite Elizabeth's outrage.  "Lydia will never be easy till she has exposed herself in some public place or other, and we can never expect her to do it with so little expense or inconvenience to her family as under the present circumstance."  Granted, Elizabeth is more concerned because this behavior is precisely why Jane was separated from Bingley by his friends.

I was sad to read one particular thing.  Throughout the novel I've wondered just why Mr. Bennet was married to Mrs. Bennet.  I mean, they're so vastly different (He sensible, she...borderline sense...less?) but obviously enjoyed each other enough to have five children.  I was hoping for some secret little adoration, some trait that kept one in the other's esteem and admiration.  It was really sad to read that she was the wife of his youth when beauty mattered more than other things and now they are merely civil with one another.  *sigh*  It's probably more realistic to life experience, I'm sure, but I had hoped.

I'll post another "Vocabulary" section in a day or two mostly for myself, but will do a final wrap up next week when I finish the novel.

Pax,

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment